U.S. M-1 Hawley Liner
Used by the United States military in the early stages of World War II (1939-1945), this M-1 Hawley liner was one of the first liners developed for M-1 steel helmet. It is made of a two-piece fiber mold and covered in olive drab twill fabric. There are nine exterior rivet heads that hold the inner suspension in place. These rivets connect to nine rectangular steel washers the rest above the suspension. The rectangular washers were utilized through the early part of 1942 being replaced by triangular or "A" forms.1 The liner's interior is painted olive drab but is not covered in fabric, which exposes the fiber mold. A complete Riddell suspension system with leather headband, neck strap, and rayon webbing is located inside the liner.
In 1940 the United States decided to update its military hardware and made policy changes to reflect this direction. As a result of this modernizing push the M-1 helmet was invented in June 1941 and went through many changes throughout World War II. The Hawley fiber liner was the first of two main liner modifications. The Hawley liner was produced between 1941 and 1942 by the Hawley Products Company, who had been subcontracted by McCord Radiator and Manufacturing Company. Hawley Products Company made 3,977,000 liners for McCord. The U.S. military discontinued use of the Hawley liner in November 1942.1
|United States||World War II|
|Infantry Helmet||1941 — 1942|
|Hawley Products Company|