2nd Division NCO's M-1 Helmet
This American M-1 helmet with 2nd Division insignia is oddly named to Navy Boatswain Mate 3rd Class Edward M. Andolsek. It is painted a textured olive drab and is covered in a fairly close weave cotton netting. The netting has a German-like configuration as is connected to the shell by nine metal clips with the excess tucked under the top layer. A hand-painted (probably stenciled) 2nd Infantry Division “Indian Head” insignia in red, white, and blue on a black shield rests on the front brow. The back portrays a horizontal white bar designating the owner to be an non-commissioned officer (NCO). The shell's interior is painted smooth olive drab. Both sides have a rectangular chinstrap loop welded in place (classifying it as a "fixed bale" for the immobile loops), and the lot number “106D” is stamped faintly under the visor. Both the loop shape and lot number help to identify that the McCord Radiator and Manufacturing Company manufactured this helmet around March or April 1942.1 Interestingly, the chinstrap attached to this helmet is usually seen on Navy telephone talker’s helmets.
The liner in this shell is made from the high-pressure plastic technique by the Westinghouse Electric Company. The interior olive drab cotton suspension system is only remnants of what it once was, but the adjustable leather headband, neck strap, “A” washers, and chinstrap are all still intact. The configuration seems to have the characteristics of a 1943 production with the green painted “A” washers and early steel headband buckle.2 At the left side of the leather headband, the helmet is named to "Edward M. Andolsek BM 3/C" (Boatswain Mate 3rd Class).
U.S. 2nd Division Indianhead Insignia
The founding of the “Indianhead” insignia can be traced back to 1917. During the First World War Colonel Herringshaw of the Service and Support Supply in the Division held a contest to design an emblem he could put on his supply trucks to designate the unit they belonged. Apparently, first place went to an Indianhead design, and second place went to a white star. Herringshaw later combined the two designs and submitted it to headquarters for approval. The 2nd Division commander at the time, Gen. Omar Bundy, accepted the Indianhead and star, which after the war would be placed on an American shield. The insignia was made with the American colors red, white, and blue and has not changed since the Second World War.3
|United States||World War II|
|McCord Radiator and Manufacturing Company|